Thursday, March 10, 2011

Where

The Garden of Ideas is a magical place - part farm, part strolling garden, part outdoor art gallery with a little bit of poetry and yoga thrown in for good measure. For months after moving in, I would pass the sign on my way into town, but it wasn't until last spring that I actually took the time to enter. What I found delighted me on so many levels. A self service farm stand greeted me with the days offerings of fruit, vegetables and selected items from local farms in the area.

Ariana spotted the large sand box filled with toys - and went to play. I explored the stand,  discovering various vases and small sculptures placed creatively amongst the day's offerings. This gave me my first hint of what awaited me once I entered the grounds. Next to the stand was the first of many vegetable gardens.


After a while, we made our way down the path, we saw larger sculptures in the midst of the gardens that surrounded us.


Placards with poetry were hung as well. We passed the beehives (very quickly I might add) where honey is gathered and more gardens containing flowers of all types. Benches were interspersed throughout. We continued our walk and found more vegetable gardens.


After doubling back slowly, trying to catch everything in this chock-full-of-visual-surprise garden, we were back at the stand, where I bought some beautiful tomatoes, putting the specified amount of money into a small milk can.  As I was looking around, I saw some information on how to join their CSA. At the time, I was busy trying to grow things, but kept it in the back of my mind.

I visited The Garden of Ideas all through the summer and fall, bringing visitors to explore the grounds and discovering something new each time. When the garden made shares available, I jumped right in. 

In a few weeks, the crops will be available and I will get the privilege of stopping by once a week to pick up my share. I can stroll the gardens, sit a relax on a bench, or, if I am there on a Sunday morning, take a yoga class given in one of the open spaces.

Come on, spring!!!

Oh, by the way, that was only one side of the grounds. In the next post, I'll show you the other side....

No comments:

Post a Comment