Thursday, March 24, 2011

Snow, Snow, Go Away

It is hard to get excited about vegetables when winter just doesn't want to leave. Today, the third day of spring, brings snow - perhaps up to nine inches according to "in-accuweather". As I sit by the window, the formerly clear view of what passes for a lawn at my house is getting covered by a blanket of snow. This is a mixed blessing as the falling snow covers up the half grass, half dirt (yet another spring project), but means a possible snow day tomorrow if it keeps up.

While waiting for the real spring, with sun and flowers and leaves and birds and yes, vegetables, I am collecting recipes for use in the grand experiment. A friend highly recommended a cookbook called "From Asparagus to Zucchini", written by the Madison Area CSA Coalition. I haven't received it yet, but I am looking forward to it, as it has recipes for 53 different vegetables (there are 53 kinds of vegetables??)  In the meantime, I am clipping recipes from newspapers, magazines and the internet. My criteria is simple - anything that I think my family might eat (and doesn't contain anchovies) gets put aside for a time when that particular vegetable shows up in my box.

Then the fun will begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment