Wednesday, February 15, 2012

They're Back!!!




Well, almost. About a week ago I got the email I've been waiting for since November -  the one announcing that the new share season at The Garden of Ideas will start in another month or so. Not only have I missed eating all that fresh and tasty bounty, but the visits to the farm as well. Ilsa and Joe are so welcoming, always there with a smile or tidbit of information on how to best prepare whatever is on the board for the week. Whenever I have the time, I will take a stroll through the gardens to see what is growing, read some poetry and check out what new sculptures have been installed. The place is a feast not just for the taste buds, but for all of my senses. 







I came to look forward to the challenge of my Thursday pick up. What would be in the fridge at the farm stand? Will I know what to do with it? Will my family eat it? When the season was over, I didn't quite know what to do with myself. I had to actually go to the store and buy stuff. I did still experiment a little over the winter, making one night a week "vegetarian night".

But I missed the adventure of trying garlic scapes, cucuzza, all types of microgreens and ground cherries - just to name a few of the types of produce that were new to me last year and favorites now. I've been collecting recipes in anticipation and have learned a few things about participating in a garden share:

1) Keep an open mind - the garden offers the opportunity to switch out what you don't want. Had I done that every time I was presented with something new, I never would have tried a bunch of things that are now staples.

2) Be realistic - Cauliflower, it just ain't gonna happen. Much as I tried last season, with soup and grilled and covered in cheese, my family was having none of it.

3) Have a steady supply of olive oil and garlic on hand. Most veggies can be prepared with these two ingredients and taste just wonderful - the beauty of fresh picked is that you really don't have to do much.

4) When available, buy the best quality you can. The taste really is better!!!




1 comment:

  1. Have been missing your posts. Somehow, they bring sun along with the vegetables......Céline

    ReplyDelete