Monday, October 3, 2011


The squash are here!!  Last week was Butternut - this week Acorn  - the big question is do I do a simple roast in the oven, a soup or a more complicated dish. To the cookbooks I go!



Took another eggplant - I love the purple ones with the white marks - creamy, delicate taste. I added it to my vegetarian lasagna - usually made with just spinach, and it was a big hit. The recipe I use started with the one on the box of noodles. Over the years, I have changed it somewhat - different kinds of cheese, meat vs spinach, low fat vs full fat. It's one of those dishes that is hard to do badly. Now, I usually just up the herbs and use lots of cheese for a very dense lasagna. I always make a big one, so there is plenty of left overs and I NEVER serve it on the same day I make it. That one day of rest allows all the flavors to meld and once reheated, gives out the full flavor of the dish.


More tomatoes - the variety is thrilling - each kind I try is like a surprise in my mouth - sweet, rich, tart, light - I never know until that first bite. I have been putting them on my favorite Wave Hill Bread for an extra special treat....


This week's beans are multi-colored - green, white, purple - I just wished they kept their color when cooked. I think I'll try something raw this week........

1 comment:

  1. Jealous of the heirloom tomatoes! They are so expensive in the store.

    ReplyDelete