Sunday, April 24, 2011

"I Like This, I Like All of It",

exclaimed Ariana, of her dinner last night. At the discerning age of 6, for her to eat everything on her plate is a huge accomplishment. We made grilled salmon with a sorrel sauce and sauteed spinach with garlic and lemon along with some rice. And she ate all of it, continuously remarking how much she was enjoying it. "Can we have this on Wednesday"?, she asked. Sure, honey, if you are going to eat like this, I'll make it every night of the week!

Never having used sorrel before, I took a look through The Encyclopedia of Herbs, Spices and Flavorings, one of those books I don't remember buying, but is stacked along side various cookbooks in my kitchen. It certainly came in handy last night and I'm sure it will be a regular reference for me now. Apparently, Sorrel has been around since the pharaohs ruled Egypt and was used to aid digestion. I must say, it is a very pretty herb, with lovely green leaves and deep red stems. Filled with vitamins A and C, and a good source of potassium, it has a very subtle scent that is more evident once cooked.

While my husband grilled the salmon outside, I made the sauce, first sauteing onions, then adding the leaves and a little milk (should have been cream, but I didn't have any), salt and pepper. According to the book, the leaves were supposed to "melt", but when they didn't (may not have cooked it long enough), I just took out my small processor and pureed the mix. Nervous to just spoon it over the fish, just in case it tasted awful and not wanting to ruin a beautiful piece of fish, I put the sauce on the side. There was no need to worry though, because after one taste, we just slathered on top. Rich, creamy, yum! No wonder Sorrel is popular in France as they are experts in good food.

The spinach was a whole different experience from the bags you buy in the grocery store. Instead of thick dark leaves that are slightly tough, these were lighter all around. The color was fresh "just picked", the texture was much softer and the taste, aided by a little garlic, oil and lemon was terrific. Even Ariana couldn't stop eating it!

Perhaps it was just beginners luck, but the meal was a success for all of us. Ariana can't wait to go back to the farm. Knowing the food we ate came from there makes the experience so much more "real" for her. Plus, they have a rockin' sand box!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you're enjoying the food! We look foward to seeing you tomorrow for week two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such a lovely experience.

    ReplyDelete