Thursday, April 28, 2011

Pea Shoots???? (Week Two)

Rushing to beat the forecasted thunderstorm and sweaty from a Bikram yoga class, I quickly made my way to the farm stand, briefly greeting Ilsa and her young son. "Wow", I thought, "there's a lot of green this week". Thinking back to my quick stop yesterday, at the request of Ariana, for more spinach, I now have a fridge full of leafy things. I know what to do with most of it, but pea shoots???

With a little searching on the Internet (word of caution - do not type pee for pea, unless you want a whole new take on "shoots") I found an entertaining and very informative British site that has a wealth of info on this unfamiliar vegetable. Apparently, they are much more common across the ocean.


 
Making it home in plenty of time, I poured myself a bit of the Apricot Nectar, from Red Jacket Orchards in Geneva, NY. I mixed about a quarter of a glass with some sparkling water. The subtle taste of the apricots definitely quenched my thirst and I really enjoyed the fresh new flavor.


One of the challenges of all this produce is figuring out what to do with it. I have some ideas, but tonight's dinner will be particularly difficult as our busy schedule may leave limited time to prepare and eat. Better get thinkin'.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks to you my veggie vocabulary is expanding at the speed of light. I now know the difference between scallions and shallots (a first website I checked presented them as the same thing but in British English and in American English, which is total rubbish), and I just learned that peashoots were nothing like peas. How does it taste? it seems like a thick leaf compared to other shots I know.....CĂ©line

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are actually very delicate, though larger in size than other shoots.

    ReplyDelete