Saturday, July 23, 2011

Potato Salad - the tasty switch





The items in this week's share was the perfect opportunity to switch out the usual ingredients of my usual potato salad for ones I had on hand. I like my potatoes with the skin on, so the Rose Gold New Potatoes, young ones with very thin skin are the perfect choice for potato salad and a good change from the larger Yukon gold. A gentle scrub is all they need. Bravely, I lite the stove (and turned the air conditioner on!) and boiled the potatoes until just soft.


I cut them up, added some fennel (instead of celery) and basil (instead of parsley) and one Cippolini onion (instead of the usual yellow). While I usually add mayo to the recipe, I didn't have any, so I used Marie's Blue Cheese Dressing instead. Add the usual salt and pepper and I was done.

Reviews were very positive and I had to rely on them since personally, I don't like potato salad. I know, it's crazy, but there is just something about cold potatoes that turns me off. I did taste this when the potatoes were still slightly warm and I really liked the fresh delicate taste.

Today's dish will be some salsa for a party I am going to.....stay tuned....

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, I use vinegar in my potato salads; Vinegar and onions. Works quite well together. That is if you can stomach the potato salad....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer a vinegar based dressing myself, but I have others to please in the house and since this is not my favorite dish either way, I just make it the way it is most likely to get eaten...

    ReplyDelete