Friday, May 20, 2011

Oh boy, Bok Choy!!

I am very excited about the boy choy this week. We do lots of wok cooking in my house and this is a perfect ingredient for so many dishes. Paired with the cilantro, I already have some ideas on what to do with it. This week, I made my first switch - we are allowed to change a designated item for something else in the stand. Since the asparagus was such a hit last week, I choose another bunch, which will again be grilling tonight (if the weather holds out - the expression "rain, rain, go away", never seemed so appropriate here in Connecticut!!)
Since I had some time, I took a look at the vegetable plants for sale. I think I counted 13 different kinds of tomato, with names like "Early Girl" and "Sweet and Neet" and colorful descriptions that made me think of the signs that greet you as you puruse the eisles of your neighborhood wine store. 

Since I am leaving the vegetable growing to the experts this summer, I left the tomato plants to those better suited to growing them without killing them, but did pick up a lemongrass plant. Not just good for cooking, lemongrass is a natural mosquito repellant so I like to have a few plants around the deck. And, I found a new use for the cup holder in my car....

When I got home, I realize I had some variety of my own. With all of the rain, the mushrooms were out in force in our front yard. There were 2 or 3 varieties, and even though I don't know much about mushrooms, except to know I will not be eating them, I am disappointed I don't know enough to put up my own little signs...


1 comment:

  1. Those mushrooms look too cute to be eaten. I am glad you did not cook them !
    CĂ©line

    ReplyDelete