Tuesday, May 10, 2011

What to Eat While the Cat's Away

With Arny away for a few days, I thought I would work my way through the leftovers rather than do what I usually do, which is feed Ariana something semi-healthy and then sit down to my favorite dinner of all time - pretzels and ice cream. To be specific, Rold Gold or Snyders with mocha almond fudge. To be even more specific, the pretzels are the spoon and the ice cream is scooped up, resulting in that most mouth-happy combination of salty and sweet. As an added bonus, by eating the ice cream out of the container, there is absolutely nothing to clean up.

That was pretty much the way I ate before I met my husband. While I could cook, I rarely did. More often than not, I would through a bag of salad into a bowl, open a can of tuna and voila!! Once in awhile I would make pasta, but really, when you live in the city, there are so many things you can just "grab" from a store and by the time I would get home from work, the gym, cocktails with friends, the last thing I wanted to do was stand in front of a stove.

Meeting him was a revelation. First of all, he cooked. Real meals. Complete meals - meat, veggie, carb. kind of meals. All by himself, for himself. Meals that actually tasted good. Now, we usually cook together, him handling the meat and me the rest. It works well, most of the time.

Back to the left overs. I finished the quiche, promising myself to make it again - it was simple. I also made the chopped radish on bread with butter - yummy!!. The creamy butter and sharp radish was a great combination. And yes, a salad of greens with a simple vinaigrette. Tonight I am thinking another salad of shredded beet, carrot and celery - recipe thanks to Laura.

1 comment:

  1. I never realized 1)Arny cooked other than taking care of the meat (although I noticed he liked his food) 2) you did not cook until you met him. You seemed so into it from the Tokyo days that I never even thought about your relationship to dinner being different...
    But I could not eat your favorite dinner. Pretzels and icecreams. Puky....No offense to the millions who can stomach it.
    CĂ©line

    ReplyDelete