Friday, May 6, 2011

Week Three


Radishes, beets, cress micro greens???? I went right home and got on the Internet to learn how to make something my family might not think tastes like "throw up" (see previous post). These are not things my family is used to and while I signed up for the CSA for the express purpose of expanding my vegetable palate, I did not bother asking the rest of my household if they wanted their palates expanded.

I remember radishes and beets from my childhood. My mother would slice radishes on the iceberg lettuce and I would sneer and eat around the scary looking white circles. Mind you, my mother's version of salad was iceberg lettuce with a canned pear or peach on it, swimming in the fruit syrup. Not to blame her, as that is the only way I would eat it.

Beets were shredded into borscht and I NEVER
WENT
NEAR
IT!!
The soup was served cold with a spoonful of sour cream on top. I would carefully watch my parents eating wondering why they didn't immediately fall on the floor retching at the taste of it.

But I'm grown now and only have that reaction watching someone eating anchovies..

One reason I love Garden of Ideas so much is that they provide recipes and this week's selection for the beets is encouragingly named "The Only Way I Can Get My Husband To Eat Beets". I hope it works on 6 year olds too.

With all the greens, this week I am going to work on my salad dressing making ability, which could definitely use some improving. Somehow I always end up with a dressing that tastes 'not quite there', even when I carefully measure each ingredient. Please feel free to post any of your favorite recipes - I'll try them out and let you know how it turned out.

Wish me luck...

1 comment:

  1. Regarding artichokes, why don't you simply boil them? takes a long 30 or 40 minutes and then we cut it into two. Each has a half. And we start peeling one leafe at a time, eating the base of it after dipping it in a kind of vinaigrette. The kids love it. When they reach the hairy base, I just cut it off and cut the heart in pieces and they finish it off. I personally even like it better raw but eaten the same way. One leaf at a time. I don't think they would it it any other way for now.
    Regarding radish, we have them as a starter, almost a snack, with butter on bread, and salt. We dip it into salt and eat it along with buttered bread. The kids tend to find it a bit too hot (some raddish can be a bit hot) but they eat more and more of it.
    Finally regarding beets, I hated it growing up. Still not the best fan of read beet. Too sweet for me. But I have seen more than one recipe where it is used as a base slicing it very thin and add another slice of this, or a slice of that. They would call it a tartare of red beet and goat cheese for example. I have a link (in French) http://www.recettesduchef.fr/default.asp?Display=41 or this one http://tableslibres.fr/recettes/tartare-thon/
    or this one with goat cheese and smoked salmon
    http://www.cuisineaz.com/recettes/tartare-de-betteraves-au-saumon-et-chevre-17303.aspx
    Enjoy!
    CĂ©line

    ReplyDelete