Thursday, May 26, 2011

Week 6


With the weather finally turning warm and sunny, it is time to say goodbye to the Spring share season. This last week brings familiar items to my kitchen and a wonderful surprise:


Just look at these tomatoes, are they gorgeous or what? Grown up in Bethlehem, CT by March Farms, I can't wait to try these, perhaps sliced with some fresh sliced mozzarella and basil.

Again, my mother is looking down on me thinking, "you couldn't get excited about tomatoes while I was still around, huh?". She was a big fan, having grown up in southern New Jersey, and used to eat tomatoes like you would an apple. When I was growing up,  it disturbed her that I wouldn't touch them. But then again, what was available were those sickly looking things in the cellophane that looked mushy and tasted like, well, like my daughter often says, "yucky".  Later on, when we would go to a restaurant and the salad came, I would gently lift the strangely red semi-circles over to her plate and she would say the same thing, "I can't believe you're my daughter and don't like tomatoes".  "Well mom, if they tasted like this, I would have!"

Ok then, off to the cheese store...

No comments:

Post a Comment