Sunday, May 8, 2011

Roesti



Well, they were right. My husband loved the potato-beet roesti - it really was delicious! And easy to make too. Grated potato, beet - I used a yellow one (who knew they came in yellow!!), so as not to arouse any fear of actually eating a beet until it was eaten, a little flour, salt and pepper and butter. For my family of three, I used one Idaho potato and one large beet - it filled a 12" pan and we have some left over. I can see making this with other veggies too. It reminded me of a big potato pancake.

Curious about the origins, I did a little searching and see it it a Swiss creation, usually served for breakfast. Also spelled Rosti or Roschti (the Swiss German spelling). The potatoes can be raw or parboiled - I used raw potatoes and rather than rushing to avoid the potatoes turning that nasty color, I put the grated potato into cold water and when I was ready to cook, drained the water, using a salad spinner. It worked perfectly.
 
For those curious, here is a site with many variations.

Since today is Mother's Day, I will take the day off from cooking anything. A walk, a nap and dinner out awaits me on this warm and sunny day.....wishing all the mothers out there a wonder day..

3 comments:

  1. Only the grated potato and beet, no egg, no cheese, no butter or anything? you mix them up and then fry them? how long does it take? Looks really yummy. I am just wondering whether I am going to find any yellow beet around here.

    Happy Mother Day!

    CĂ©line

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day! Love you! Really ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. potato, beet, flour, salt and pepper, cooked in butter - about 10 minutes on medium heat on each side. The hardest part is flipping it over (cover pan with plate, flip, slide back in pan)

    ReplyDelete